Howard Low D Tuneable Whistle - Brass
Brass Low D is the most common key played in Irish and many other types of traditional music.
Howard Low Whistles have been made since the early 1970's and the present design was first put on sale in 1985. The design has been constantly improved since. The tone is of a haunting quality (for airs), it takes little air (jigs and reels), it moves easily and solidly between octaves with some dynamics (you can play loud or soft without loosing tuning. The tuning is excellent over two full octaves. The barrel is made of specially drawn thin wall brass tube with an ABS (high grade resin) head. The head is movable for tuning with a reference line incised around the barrel to give a tuning visual aid. Howard low whistles are not hard blown nor do they use much air. They move solidly between the two octaves.With practice they can be played loudly or quietly in both octaves without significant changes in pitch.
How To Finger Low Whistles
This is the necessary method of playing the low whistle, in my opinion and of that of everyone who has some idea what he or she is talking about. It's called piper fingering. It's a little difficult to learn at first for those accustomed to the standard "fingertip" style of playing high whistles. Trying to play the low whistle with conventional fingering will inevitably lead to fatigue.
Please note the advantage of having a large bore holed whistle is that the tone of the whistle is louder and more resonant, especially the lower notes, like the Low D"
- Howard low D Whistle
- Beautiful Brass Finish
- The barrel is made of specially drawn thin wall brass tube with an abs (high grade resin) head
- The head is movable for tuning with a reference line incised around the barrel to give a tuning visual aid. This Howard is fitted with the Balanced head.
- Designed and made by master craftsman Howard who has made high quality musical instruments since the early 1970's
- Laser-engraved Howard Music logo
- Sonorous, resonant thin-walled acoustic brass, made to our own specification
- Head made from robust virgin ABS resin, with advanced acoustic design.
Designed and made by master craftsman Brian Howard who has made high quality musical instruments since the early 1970's
This whistle is equipped with the Balanced head which is the easiest of the three heads to play and is great for all types of music. It has a small amount of the resonant quality of the reed head and a little of the breathy quality of the Chiff head that isn’t really present on the reed head. If you are just going to get one head we recommend the balanced head especially if you are a beginner.
We Also Recommend